Thursday, June 9, 2011

Evermore by Alyson Noël


Evermore by Alyson Noël

Release Date: AU October 2, 2009
Series: The Immortals [Book One]
Publisher: Macmillan
Pages: 356
Source: Purchased
Rating: 3/5

Sixteen-year-old Ever Bloom is the sole survivor of a car accident that killed her family. Exiled to sunny California. Ever is haunted by her little sister and by the ability to see people's auras, hear their thoughts and know their entire life story by touching them. She wants to hide from the world, but when a stunningly handsome guy arrives at school, she can't seem to keep away. Falling in love with Damen is dangerous - he's not what he seems. But if Damen is her destiny, how can Ever walk away? - Goodreads

My Review:
Evermore is the story about a young girl named Ever. Her family was killed in car crash, and she is the only survivor. She seems pretty normal on the outside, the only visual sign of the accident is a scar on her forehead. However, Ever can now see spirits, mainly that of her little sister, see people’s auras, and hear their thoughts.

Before the accident, Ever was popular and dated one of the best looking guys in school. Now, she avoids social situations, dresses in baggy clothing and listens to loud music on her MP3 player. All of this, to drown out her new supernatural ‘gift’. It’s not all doom and gloom for Ever though. She has two friends, Haven and Miles who are also considered school misfits, and they keep each other company. But even Ever hasn't told them about her powers, she can’t tell anyone.

Then one day, a new boy arrives at school. He’s good looking, charming, talented and smart. Basically he’s too good to be true, and he’s interested in Ever. But all is not what it seems with Damen; and Ever isn't sure if she should trust him. Certain things happen (or don’t happen) when Damen’s around, and when an old friend of Damen’s shows up in town, things get interesting and dangerous. I'm not going to say any more, but Ever must decide whether she wants to stay with Damen, or if she should let him go. The consequences of her choice are great.

And even though I can think of a million good and valid reasons why we absolutely should not ditch, why the weekend should wait until three o’clock just like any other Friday, when he gazes at me, his eyes are so deep and inviting, I don’t think twice, and dive right in.

~ page176, Evermore by Alyson Noël

Rating:
I thought the idea of a girl who had a near death experience and then discovered she had these psychic abilities was interesting. She coped the best way she knew how, by withdrawing within herself, and blocking out the world as best she could. Her relationships with her friends were delicate, and at times where stretched to their limits. However, her relationship with Damen was fascinating. Damen had this magic about him, and Ever could feel it. I enjoyed reading as their relationship developed. While reading, I felt like I was on a roller coaster with them, experiencing the ups and downs of their relationship. The ending blew me away, I was not expecting what happened (but in a good kind of way). It did leave me with a few questions, about Damen and his 'friends', but I’m hopeful these will be answered in the next books in the series.

Overall, I liked the book. It was well written, and included romance, magic, comedy and suspense. I rate it 3/5.

So, now you've heard my thought on Evermore by Alyson Noël, I'd like to hear your thoughs on the book. Have you read it? What are the other books in the series like, if you've read those? Would you consider reading it now, after reading my review? Thanks.
-Alisa
P.S.
This review was a little bit differnt to the ones I've done before. I included a quote from the novel, and I structured it a little differently with more focus on the story itself, and I tried to give a more detailed rating. Also I don't like calling it a rating, any other ideas? Hope you liked it, feel free to comment below.

3 comments:

  1. Great review. Personally for me, I loved EVERMORE but I didn't like Noel's other books in the series (Dark Flame was the only other book in the Immortal series that I actually LIKED).

    New follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I've been debating if I wanted to start this series for a while now. I hear that it gets better and better with each book, so maybe I will give it a try.

    New follower :)

    Kristina
    http://ladybugstorytime.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin- I haven't read anymore of the series yet, but I hope to soon. With Evermore, I thought I had it all figured out in my head, but as I kept reading, things weren't what I first thought. I like it when that happens :).

    Kristina- Thanks for following! I've heard that to, so I'm excited to read the next few and find out. Glad to hear you'll take a look at it.

    ReplyDelete